Project in Progress
Planning, construction and operation of a sewage sludge mono-incineration plant in Saxony
In Halle-Lochau, the commissioning of a state-of-the-art sewage sludge mono-incineration plant with power generation via a steam turbine and generator is currently underway.
Planning and installation were carried out by sludge2energy GmbH, the future operation of the thermal sewage sludge utilization plant is to be carried out by WTE Betriebsgesellschaft mbH.
The process complies with the latest standards and meets strict requirements. The drying concept allows separate recycling of all aqueous residues of the vapor treatment.
According to current planning, commissioning and trial operation of the belt drying and sludge incineration plant is scheduled for the fourth quarter of 2021. From then on, 33,000 t of dewatered sewage sludge (dry matter content of 25% DS) and 2,700 t/a of externally dried sewage sludge (dry matter content of 90% DS) can be energetically utilised annually. Regular operations will start in the first quarter of 2022.
The main components of the sewage sludge mono-combustion plant designed by the engineers of sludge2energy GmbH are a sewage sludge bunker including crane system, a HUBER Belt Dryer BT 20 including vapour exhaust air treatment, a S2E Fluidizer (fluidised bed furnace) with steam boiler and a dry flue gas cleaning system. The steam generated in the fluidised bed furnace is converted into electricity by a back pressure steam turbine and the low-energy exhaust steam from the HUBER Belt Dryer BT is optimally utilised.
- 1 incineration line including sludge drying
- 3,0 - 3,5 MW fuel heat output
- approx. 220 - 250 kW gross electrical output
The milestones of the project:
- November 2018: Application for construction of the plant
- November 2019: Start of construction
- 15 and 16 January 2021: assembly of the fluidised bed furnace
- 31 March 2021: Passing of boiler pressure test
- June 2021: Completion of assembly of all plant components and testing of all pressurised component groups
- Since mid-July 2021: Cold commissioning
- Mid-October 2021: First sludge feed, followed by performance tests and trial operation
- Start of regular operation and handover to WTE Betriebsgesellschaft mbH is scheduled for 1 March 2022
- 33.000 t/a dewatered sewage sludge
- 2.750 t/a externally dried sewage sludge in addition
Figures of the project
More projects on sewage sludge utilisation